Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lovely little blue invaders



Many years ago … back in the distant past … I visited the Green Briar Nature Center at the Thornton Burgess Museum in Sandwich, MA (http://www.thorntonburgess.org/GreenBriarNatureCenter.htm), and was struck by a carpet of blue forget-me-nots (myosotis) that stretched away at great length under a large old spreading tree. Knowing nothing about this flower, I imagined that this particular bed had probably taken many, many years to reach that size. The blue carpet looked so lovely, and I tucked the memory in the back of my mind, hoping to create something similar some day.
Little did I know how quickly these little gems spread! Several years ago I brought one clump home. Now they have multiplied exponentially, literally choking the other plants in four of my garden beds. I still love their beauty in early spring, but during the last week have had to pull two wheelbarrows full for the compost pile, as well as giving away as much as I’ve been able. These photos were taken after the thinning … the poor daylilies needed some room to breathe.

2 comments:

  1. I love forget-me-nots & could never get them to grow in Mashpee. I'm going to try them here. We've got a massive maple (might be a sugar maple even, still investigating) that wants something better than english ivy around its feet. Thanks for the good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, there are yellow evening primroses in amongst the forget-me-nots that will bloom next ... then after that, the rose-colored daylilies. That is, if they all cooperate!

    ReplyDelete