Tuesday, May 25, 2010

If it's not hardy, it's not worth it!


Diehard gardeners usually love to encourage others to get their hands in the dirt, hoping they'll see how rewarding it is. And there’s nothing like a successful experience to really bring pleasure. Which is why it breaks my heart a little whenever I hear of a gardening “failure” that could have been avoided … like the folks I know who planted their veggie seedlings out waaaaay too early last spring, and lost them all to frost; or the rose bush planted in such poor soil that it conked out pretty quickly. Heaven knows I’ve made plenty of mistakes myself over the years … or, perhaps I should say, I’ve had plenty of learning experiences.

And so, instead of harping on why you should plant daylilies that are 1) purchased from a grower in or near your climate zone, and/or 2) known to be good performers in your part of the world, here’s a visual aid to illustrate the point.

Several years ago, I ordered several daylilies that I knew were northern-hardy from a southern grower. Along with my order, they included a bonus … one of their newer hybridized introductions, which lists for $75 in their catalog. Wow!, I thought, that’s amazing! -- I figured it would be quite special.

Here we are, three years later. You can see that the daylilies on the left and right have normal-sized foliage for this time of year; and you can see that the ones in the center are small, thin, and grass-like. That is the three-year-old “clump” of the $75 introduction, a Zone 5-inappropriate daylily, bred to live in the South. Oh, it survives here … barely. Last year it threw up only one blossom. If I didn’t know the reason, I would have been tremendously disappointed … and if I had spent $75 for the plant, I would feel even worse.

So buy what will thrive where you live. Spend wisely. Be happy. And have a beautiful garden!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I had to look hard for the one in the middle. I didn't realize it was a daylily even.

    ReplyDelete