Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spring showers?


Yep, that's snow ... it's a late-April surprise, especially with the early spring we've been enjoying this year. Mother Nature's way of reminding us not to get too far ahead of ourselves, perhaps. It's coming down thickly as I write this, but it's really just a blip, predicted to turn to rain shortly. It doesn't even feel cold enough to snow out there, and the bird chorus is as cheerful as ever.

Here in Zone 5, our last average frost date is May 22. If my gardens had a southern exposure, or were somewhat protected, or in town in the valley where it's usually about ten degrees warmer than here, I might be willing to set out tender seedlings as early as some do; but this snow reminds me that here in the hills, things are much more variable. The spinach and kale will be fine, but we'll go up the hill to the field later to check on the lettuce seedlings -- with fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your lettuce too. Michael scraped ice off his windshield this morning (OK, at 6, but still -- we're much farther south!). Brrr.

    ReplyDelete