Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dog Days


As much as I could rave on about each and every daylily that’s opened so far, what’s uppermost in my mind (and nearly everyone else’s, it seems) is the heat. And the ones that seem to be suffering the most, at least in my immediate purview, are our two Berners.
Bernese Mountain Dogs are incredibly sweet, gentle, wonderful beasts … and definitely built for cold weather. Originating in the Alps, they like nothing better than to roll around in snow; our northern winters don’t faze them a bit. They’ll come up to the field with me on summer mornings, after some encouragement, and seek out a shady spot. But this hot, humid spell is really hard on them, and they just can’t stay out there very long. We don’t have A/C here at home, just a few fans, and during this heat spell Marley and Geneva are slow, panting, nearly immobile after 9 a.m., even in the house. Devoted critters, instead of always seeking out the coolest spot, they rather will stay with me, even if I am in the warmest room. Poor things! And so this is how I rationalized spending a few hours in front of a fan, watching insipid tv this afternoon … it was for the dogs. Of course!

1 comment:

  1. They're gorgeous. Hopefully the heat breaks, for everyone.

    ReplyDelete